Hispanic Heritage Month
Enjoy events around Missouri celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month:
- Join Kansas Citians at Fiesta Hispania for daily live entertainment and plenty of food and beverage choices. The annual festivities kick off on September 15 at Barney Allis Plaza. Visit the site to learn more.
- Explore KC Hispanic News, a mainstream newspaper offering a bi-lingual English to Spanish publication to a weekly readership of 35,000 in the Kansas City metropolitan area. For current news, visit online.
- On September 15, Guadalupe Centers will hold their Blanco y Negro Awards Gala to bring together community and civic leaders to honor and thank those individuals and institutions who have contributed to improving the quality of life for Kansas City Latinos. The annual black-tie fundraiser begins at 5:30 p.m. and will be held at The Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland. Additional information may be found online.
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at the Boulevard Brewing Company on September 28. This inaugural event benefiting the Maddie Rhodes art education programs will feature a skull auction and dancing. Check out the website for additional details, tickets, or to learn more about the Maddie Rhodes Center.
- On October 7, the Jefferson City Multicultural Fall Festival will be held downtown on the corner of Madison and High Streets from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be entertainment and a children’s area, along with a variety of food and beverage options. This event is free to the public and will showcase the best of Mid-Missouri's many cultures. Visit the site for updates.
- Join the University of Missouri at Columbia’s Voz Latina organization in celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month at a family-friendly picnic or Spanish Story Time. Check online for additional and year-round events.
- The Greater St. Louis Hispanic Festival begins September 22 and runs daily through September 24 in Soulard Park, located near 7th Street and Lafayette, St. Louis. For more information, visit the site or call 314-837-6100.
- Socialize with the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan St. Louis at Hispanic Futbol Night on September 9 or enhance your public speaking skills on September 13. Explore online for specific detail or upcoming events.
- Bring the kids to decorate Flowers for Frida on September 12 at St. Louis Public Library’s Buder location. The fun starts at 9 a.m. in the 3rd floor multi-purpose space. Call 314-352-2900 with questions.
- On November 4 and 5, visit the Missouri History Museum to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. This family-friendly free event offers a variety of activities, including altars, an art display, live music, face painting, and food. For further information, call 314-746-4599.
Learn more about Hispanic heritage:
- Spend time with a good book from a Hispanic Heritage Month suggested reading list from websites, such as Scholastic and All About Adolescent Literacy.
- Check out fun facts and historical information celebrating Hispanic American heritage, culture, and contributions on the National Hispanic Heritage Month website.
- Expand your knowledge by exploring the United States Census Bureau’s facts page. For additional information on Hispanic origin or related topics, visit online.