Public Works Guidebook
Compliance with Missouri’s Prevailing Wage Law is important to our state and vital to your business when working on public works projects, but it doesn’t have to be complicated or overly difficult.
The Public Works Guidebook is a collection of everything you need to complete your public works projects in accordance to the law in one place. It includes checklists that take you from submitting your bid to writing your contract and completing your project, links to any forms you will need along the way and the law itself for your reference.
We value the contractors and elected officials who work hard to improve our communities by bettering our school buildings, roads and bridges, parks systems and other public assets. If you have questions about your project and the Prevailing Wage Law, contact the Division of Labor Standards.
The checklists here will take you through your public works project from the moment it is bid until the final paperwork is completed. There are two checklists to guide you, one for public officials and one for contractors
- For public officials: Missouri Public Work Check-Off List (PW-5)
- For contractors: Missouri Public Works Projects Contractor Check-Off List (PW-8)
You will need the following forms throughout your public works project. These forms help you provide communication about your project to the Department in compliance with the law.
- Prevailing Wage Project Notification - Contractor Information (PW-2) This form must be submitted by the public body to the Division of Labor Standards before any work may begin.
- Request for Wage Determination (PW-3) Public bodies use this form to request a wage order from the Division prior to letting a contract.
- Affidavit - Compliance with the Prevailing Wage Law (PW-4) All contractors and subcontractors must submit this form to the Division prior to any contract being fully paid.
- Contractor Payroll Records (LS-57) This form may be used by contractors throughout the project to help them ensure their payroll records contain all information required by law.
- Contractor's Report of Construction Wage Rates (LS-04) This is the Contractors’ Wage Survey. You can submit this form at any time until Jan. 31 of the year following your project, but the Division recommends submitting once per month as your project moves along. For more information about the Contractor’s Wage Survey and how prevailing wages are determined, click here.
For your convenience and reference, below are links to Missouri’s laws pertaining to prevailing wages and public works projects.
- Political Subdivisions, Miscellaneous Powers
Missouri Revised Statutes, Chapter 67
- Wages, Hours and Dismissal Rights
Missouri Revised Statutes, Chapter 290
- Health and Safety of Employees
Missouri Revised Statutes, Chapter 292
- Rules Relating to Objections to Wage Orders, Including Prevailing Wage Determinations and Occupational Title of Work Descriptions
Code of State Regulations, Title 8, Division 20, Chapter 5
- Prevailing Wage Law Rules
Code of State Regulations, Title 8, Division 30, Chapter 3