The Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) is an exemplary program available for small employers with fewer than 250 employees on-site and fewer than 500 employees nationwide who participate in the Missouri On-Site Safety and Health Consultation Program. It is designed to honor small businesses that operate effective safety and health management programs.
Acceptance into the Missouri SHARP is an achievement that will distinguish your company as a model for other small businesses to follow. SHARP employers can receive a one to three-year exemption from OSHA general inspections. However, if the facility does encounter an imminent danger situation, fatality, catastrophic event (sends three or more employees to the hospital), or a formal complaint is filed with OSHA, OSHA will inspect the facility regardless of the exemption. Participating can also lower your insurance, reduce your out-of-pocket expenses, and decrease workplace injuries. There currently are 31 businesses across Missouri who have met these requirements and who belong to the SHARP Association that was created for current SHARP employers. SHARP Association members mentor companies interested in becoming a SHARP site and strengthen their current safety programs by sharing best practices.
To participate, you must first request an On-Site Safety Consultation by calling 573-522-SAFE or filling out this application.
How You Can Participate In SHARP
To participate in SHARP, you must:
- Request a consultation visit that involves a complete hazard identification survey by calling 573-522-SAFE or filling out an On-Site Application
- Involve employees in the consultation process
- Correct all hazards identified by the consultant
- Implement and maintain a safety and health management system that, at a minimum, addresses OSHA's 1989 Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines
- Lower your company's Days Away Restricted and Transferred (DART) Rate and Total Recordable Case Rate (TRCR) below the national average for the previous year
- Agree to notify your state Consultation Project Office prior to making any changes in the working conditions or introducing new hazards into the workplace.
SHARP Certification and Inspection Exemption
After you satisfy all SHARP requirements, the Consultation Project Manager may recommend your worksite for final SHARP approval and certification from OSHA. The state and OSHA will formally recognize your worksite at a SHARP awards ceremony.
As a certified SHARP site, you will be granted a one-year exemption from OSHA's scheduled inspections. After one year of certification, you may request renewal for one to three years, provided that you:
- Apply for renewal during the last quarter of the exemption period
- Allow a full service comprehensive visit to ensure that your exemplary safety and health management system has been effectively maintained or improved
- Continue to meet all eligibility criteria and program requirements
- Agree, if requesting a two or three-year renewal, to conduct an interim-year self-evaluation and to submit a written report to your state Consultation Program Manager that is based on the elements of the Recommended Practices for Safety and Health Programs and includes OSHA's required injury and illness logs.
After the initial approval and renewal periods, SHARP renewals may be for a period up to three years.
The employer can also be a member of the Missouri SHARP Association.
Not Quite Ready for SHARP?
If you meet most but not all of the SHARP eligibility criteria and are committed to working toward full SHARP approval, you may be recommended by your state Consultation Project Manager for PreSHARP, an inspection deferral of up to 18 months. You may qualify for PreSHARP if your company has met the following requirements:
- You have had a complete hazard identification consultation visit at your worksite and you have corrected all hazards;
- You are in the process of implementing an effective safety and health management system; and
- You can meet all SHARP requirements during the deferral period.
If you are interested in the SHARP Program, please contact our office at 573-751-3403 or e-mail us at email@example.com.